Gaiety Hollow (located at 545 Mission Street in Salem, OR) is the name used by Lord and Schryver to describe their office, garden, and home, where they lived for over 40 years. They commissioned noted architect Clarence Smith to build a house in 1932 on land that had been owned by members of the Lord family for many decades. The garden is considered to be the tour de force of their life work, created to demonstrate their design principles and plant palette, unfettered by client’s wishes.
Thanks to the generosity of the community and several foundations, the Lord & Schyrver Conservancy purchased the property in June 2015 with the goal of developing it into a cultural and educational center. The historic gardens are being restored and are open to the public on select days throughout the season.
The following foundations generously supported purchase of Gaiety Hollow:
Maybelle Clark Macdonald Foundation
Murdock Charitable Trust
Oregon Community Foundation